Before you book with a wedding photographer, you should plan on having a wedding consultation. These are valuable meetings for both you and the photographer. The purpose of such a meeting is twofold:
- To determine whether personalities, wedding style, etc. will fit together. You will spend a lot of time with your photographer on your wedding day. It is not good for either of you if the relationship is awkward or strained. You want someone who feels like a friend, someone you feel comfortable laughing or crying in front of, someone with whom you will share very intimate moments of your wedding day.
- To share your vision of your wedding day and allow the photographer to express his/her approach to capturing your once-in-a-lifetime day. Does your vision align with what your potential photographer has in mind? Does your budget align? Are there questions or concerns to get out on the table now?
Every photographer does things a little differently, but I like to meet clients on Saturday mornings at a local coffee shop or Monday evenings at a local restaurant. The conversation typically unfolds like this–
- How did you meet? What’s your love story?
- What do you envision for your wedding day? Themes, colors, venue, etc.
- Traditional or non-traditional parts of the day– Will there be a bouquet toss, cake cutting, dollar dance, etc.?
- Photographer’s style vs. client’s vision– Does it fit?
At this point, I make a decision as to whether the client and wedding feels right. If not, I kindly end the conversation at this point with references to alternate photographers. If so, I move on to wedding portraiture and videography services.
- Samples of my wedding photography and sample album
- Included wedding portraiture services (hours of coverage, support in the planning process, final portrait products)
- Package prices and payment plan
- Contract questions and final details
All in all, the consultation is a painless conversation that is the best interest of both the client and photographer. Take advantage of this time to ask your questions and be sure you’re comfortable with the photographer and the investment in his/her talents and services.
Sarah DeMaranville Photography is a Midwest wedding photographer providing timeless, joyful imagery for the crazy in love. We specialize in outdoor photography and love to shoot at locations like The Armour House, Lavender Crest Winery, Oakwood Country Club, Allerton Park, and the Illinois Beach Resort. We accept a limited number of weddings each year. To schedule your engagement, proposal, destination, elopement, or traditional wedding, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by inquiring here.
We are so excited to love and serve you on your wedding day! You just take it all in, and we’ll be there to make sure your wedding day is as magical as you always envisioned!